Yield: 8 cups
SOAK agar in 1 ½ cups water, stir and bring to boil.
SIMMER 1 minute.
SERVE. Thaw slightly and eat as is, OR re-blend with a little milk for soft serve ice cream.
There are LOTS of variations!! If you don't have frozen or fresh cherries, you can blend 2 c. dried cherries instead. Adjust sweetener as necessary.
1. STRAWBERRY Ice Cream: Replace fresh or frozen cherries with 3 c. frozen or fresh strawberries, cut cherry concentrate down to 2 Tablespoons, omit almond flavor, and change the cherry pieces to strawberry pieces.
2. MANGO Ice Cream: Replace fresh or frozen cherries with 3 c. frozen mango OR 1 c. mango nectar, omit cherry concentrate, omit almond flavor, and use mango pieces instead of cherry pieces.
3. MAPLE NUT Ice Cream: Replace frozen cherries with 1 c. soy milk or water, replace almond flavoring with maple flavoring, use maple syrup instead of honey, omit cherry concentrate, and add chopped large pieces of toasted walnuts or pecans instead of chopped cherries.
4. BLACKBERRY or RASPBERRY Ice Cream: Make a blackberry or raspberry syrup (make by heating the berries, press out the seeds and sweeten slightly) and use 1 c. of syrup instead of 3 c. frozen cherries, omit cherry concentrate, omit almond flavor, and omit cherry pieces.
5. MINT CAROB CHIP Ice Cream: Replace 3 c. frozen cherries with 1 c. soy milk, omit cherry concentrate, add 2-4 T. carob powder, use one drop of peppermint flavor or peppermint oil instead of almond flavor, and use 1/2 c. carob chips and 1/2 c. toasted walnuts instead of cherry pieces.