Cherry Ice Cream
This is a very delightful treat for special occasions and you are not limited to cherries! Our favorite variation is strawberry flavor, because we always have frozen strawberries in the freezer. I've also made it with frozen mangos. Mmmm! This makes a large batch, so freeze some in a container for serving on your next special container and freeze the rest in ice cube trays for easily accessible small servings later. If you don't have a large blender or vitamix, you would be best to cut this recipe in half. (There's a convienient little "Halve" button that should save you all the math) Choose your favorite flavor from the variations and you are in for a real treat!
There are LOTS of variations!! If you don't have frozen or fresh cherries, you can blend 2 c. dried cherries instead. Adjust sweetener as necessary.
1. STRAWBERRY Ice Cream: Replace fresh or frozen cherries with 3 c. frozen or fresh strawberries, cut cherry concentrate down to 2 Tablespoons, omit almond flavor, and change the cherry pieces to strawberry pieces.
2. MANGO Ice Cream: Replace fresh or frozen cherries with 3 c. frozen mango OR 1 c. mango nectar, omit cherry concentrate, omit almond flavor, and use mango pieces instead of cherry pieces.
2. MAPLE NUT Ice Cream: Replace frozen cherries with 1 c. soy milk or water, replace almond flavoring with maple flavoring, use maple syrup instead of honey, omit cherry concentrate, and add chopped large pieces of toasted walnuts or pecans instead of chopped cherries.
3. BLACKBERRY or RASPBERRY Ice Cream: Make a blackberry or raspberry syrup (make by heating the berries, press out the seeds and sweeten slightly) and use 1 c. of syrup instead of 3 c. frozen cherries, omit cherry concentrate, omit almond flavor, and omit cherry pieces.
4. MINT CAROB CHIP Ice Cream: Replace 3 c. frozen cherries with 1 c. soy milk, omit cherry concentrate, add 2-4 T. carob powder, use one drop of peppermint flavor or peppermint oil instead of almond flavor, and use 1/2 c. carob chips and 1/2 c. toasted walnuts instead of cherry pieces.
SOAK agar in 1-1/2 cups water, stir and bring to boil.
SIMMER 1 minute.
COOL 1 minute.
BLEND remaining ingredients until smooth.
ADJUST flavor and sweetener as needed.
ADD agar mixture to blender and blend well.
ADD cherry pieces for extra flavor and chew.
POUR into flat container (glass casserole dishes work) and freeze serveral hours or overnight.
SERVE: Thaw slightly and eat as is, OR re-blend with a little milk for soft serve ice cream.