Sweet Potato Balls
Yields: 3 quarts
- 4 cups sweet potatoes cooked and peeled
- 10 oz crushed pineapple (juice drained)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts chopped OR pecans
- 1/2 tsp maple flavor optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup OR sorghum molasses, adjust to taste
- 12 canned pineapple slices (You will need two 20 oz. cans.)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts chopped
SCRUB sweet potatoes and poke with knife.
BAKE sweet potatoes in covered casserole dish at 400F for 1 hour or until soft.
COOL slightly, covered, then peel potatoes and mash them in a mixing bowl with a potato masher.
MIX all ingredients, except pineapple rings and extra toasted nuts. Season to taste.
ARRANGE pineapple slices along bottom 3-quart casserole dish (9×13 works best).
FORM sweet potato mixture into large balls, the size of the pineapple slice.
PLACE each ball on a pineapple slice carefully, leaving a little space between the balls.
SPRINKLE with extra chopped nuts.
BAKE at 300F for 30 minutes, until golden.
NOTE: If making ahead of time for a meal, do not bake until just before serving.