The delightful, cool flavor and colorful veggies in this hearty salad is enough to brighten any day! Even though we call it a salad, it’s rich enough to be the main course for lunch.
Mediterranean Rice Salad
Yield: 2 Quarts
COOK rice until tender. (If using an instant pot, you'll use less water.)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp organic sugar optional
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil (Use more fresh parsley, if you don't have basil.)
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped in large pieces
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup green onion finely chopped
COOK rice and 1/2 tsp salt in a rice cooker, pressure cooker, or on the stove. Adjust water as needed for your cooking method.
MIX lemon juice, olive oil, seasonings, and fresh herbs in a measuring cup. This is your salad dressing.
POUR salad dressing over hot, freshly cooked rice.
ADD fresh spinach, and gently stir until dressing is well incorporated and spinach begins to wilt from the hot rice.
REFRIGERATE for about 20 minutes, until it cools down a little bit.
CHOP pepper, cucumber, and green onion.
ADD to rice after it has cooled.
TOSS together and serve warm or cold.
KEEPS 3-4 days.