Mung Bean Savory Pancakes
This is one of my favorite patties or savory pancakes. They taste amazing with tomato and avocado, or your favorite mayonnaise or sour cream. And they taste delicious just by themselves! Leftovers freeze beautifully and are just as good reheated. Makes a wonderful gluten-free bread–just toast it in the toaster oven and you have the perfect bread for tomato sandwiches! The trick is to buy dry peeled/split mung beans. You can get them from any Asian store or World Market.
- 2 cups mung beans soaked and peeled, (1 cup dry, peeled mung beans, soaked in 2 cup water overnight OR in hot water for a few hours).
- 1 Tbsp Country Style Seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder optional
- 3/4 cup water ~just enough to cover mung beans in blender.
- 3 cup zucchini shredded, OR other favorite shredded, chopped, OR blended vegetables, such as, onion, green onion, pepper, yellow squash, cabbage, carrots, etc.
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil optional
- 1/2 small onion
BLEND mung beans, onion, seasonings, and water until smooth.
POUR mixture into bowl and ADD shredded, chopped, OR blended vegetables.
COOK as pancakes in a cast-iron skillet, OR griddle OR non-stick, lightly sprayed skillet, until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.
This is the recipe I have, but I must confess that I don’t follow it… 🙂 You can really do whatever you want with it, it’s very forgiving–and easy. Usually I adjust the seasoning depending on how many vegetables I put in.