Vegetable Spanish Rice
Yield: 2 quarts
Spanish rice is often plain rice with a bit of spice and flavor, and maybe a few pieces of onion in it. But have you ever tried making it with as many vegetables as rice? Oh, and the flavor….. it's amazing! Then, if you make a batch of Melty Cheese and drizzle that on top…. it's just over the top scrumptious! (LOL! Sorry, you'll just have to humor me on that one.) So without further word from me, here's the recipe. (And hey, if you want a spice kick, add a hint of cayenne pepper to it before you cook it. Ok, I'll be quiet now!)
- 4 cups brown rice cooked; leftover rice works great!
- 1 large bell pepper chopped– any color, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 can black olives sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes plain diced tomatoes, also works
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Country Style Seasoning see recipe under Miscellaneous section
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste optional, for deeper color and texture
POUR the rice and sliced olives into a mixing bowl.
CHOP the vegetables and place in skillet or kettle.
ADD the tomatoes and a couple tablespoons of water.
COOK on medium heat, until onions begin to turn clear.
ADD the seasonings and SIMMER for a couple minutes, until vegetables are soft.
POUR into mixing bowl with the rice and mix together well.
POUR into sprayed 2-quart casserole dish.
BAKE at 350F for 30 minutes.
Tastes great by itself OR with Melty Cheese dribbled on top.
For an extra kick, try adding a dash of cayenne.
If you are going to make this recipe ahead of time, do not bake until ready to serve.