This recipe makes a great hearty pizza crust, or it can even be used as a cornbread and served with soup!
Cornbread Pizza Crust
Yield: 1 sided cookie sheet
- 1/2 cup cashews OR blanched almonds
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil optional
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy supreme (turns the water into soy milk.) Can use soy milk OR coconut milk instead of water, and omit soy supreme.
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice OR other cooked cereal
- 1 cup corn flour finely ground
- 2/3 cup sorghum flour OR other gluten free flour, OR even whole wheat pastry flour, if you aren't gluten free.
- 1/3 cup soy flour OR more sorghum OR other pastry flour, if you can't have soy.
- 3 Tbsp flax seed ~Grind them before blending.
- 2 tsp Country Style Seasoning ~see recipe in Miscellaneous section.
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
PREHEAT oven to 375F.
BLEND the nuts, rice, and some of the water until very smooth.
ADD remaining ingredients and blend well.
POUR into an oiled, sided cookie sheet (jelly pan).
BAKE at 375F for 20 minutes.
POKE holes gently with a wet fork to release/prevent bubbles. (You may need to rinse the fork a couple times to keep it from getting sticky and tearing up the bread.)
CONTINUE baking for another 25 minutes, OR until golden.
COOL for 10 minutes in the pan.
GENTLY remove from pan onto cooling rack and allow to
COOL thoroughly before storing.
CHILL. Works better for pizza, if made the day before, so it can harden.
SERVE warm. Tastes wonderful as a pizza crust OR as bread served with soup!
For a soy-free crust, use coconut milk instead of soy milk, replace the soy flour with more sorghum or some other light pastry flour, and increase the flax seed to 4 tablespoons.