Peach Crisp Filling
This is a simple fruit crisp filling recipe that works wonderful for fresh, canned, or frozen fruit. You are not limited to peaches. I have done this fruit crisp successfully with all different kinds of berries, as well as nectarines, pears, apricots, etc. Pretty much everything, except apples. I have a separate recipe for Apple Crisp Filling. Choose your favorite fresh, canned, or frozen fruit, make a batch of Fruit Crisp Crumble Topping (see separate recipe) and have fun!
- 2 quarts peaches OR other fruit, canned, frozen, or fresh
- 1 cup fruit juice from canned fruit OR add juice if using fresh or frozen fruit
- 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate OR any other sweetener
- 1/4 cup cornstarch OR tapioca granules–see notes for tapioca instructions
- 1 tsp vanilla flavor optional
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 1 pinch salt optional
DRAIN juice from canned fruit into saucepan.
ADD fruit juice concentrate.
BRING to a boil.
MIX cornstarch with a little water in a measuring cup, and add it to boiling juice, stirring constantly.
COOK over medium heat for another minute, stirring until nearly thick.
ADD fruit, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice.
STIR and REMOVE from heat.
POUR into 3-quart baking dish.
TOP with Fruit Crisp Crumble Topping.
If using tapioca granules:
SOAK tapioca granules in the juice for 30 minutes.
BRING to boil and SIMMER until granules are clear and soft (10-20 minutes).
ADD fruit and POUR into casserole dish.