White Creamy Soup Base (For Thick Stew)
This hearty stew, if made with potatoes and vegetables, will be so thick you can almost eat it with a fork! It's one of our favorite wintertime meals–warm and filling. For a hot meal sack lunch, it does great in a thermos jar. Our favorite vegetables to use in this stew are: potatoes, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, and sometimes we like to put chickpeas in it for added protein. But I've also used green beans, peas, and other vegetables as well. Choose your favorites!
- 1/3 cup cashews OR almonds; can use coconut milk in place of nuts and water.
- 4 cups corn frozen OR 2 cups cooked rice, millet, oatmeal, OR any other leftover cereal, cold OR hot.
- 2 cups vegetable water from soup
- 2 Tbsp Country Style Seasoning See recipe in Miscellaneous section.
- 2 Tbsp parsley dried
- 1/2 tsp summer savory dried, also called savory, opt.
- 1/2 tsp marjoram dried, opt.
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch OR arrowroot powder
CHOP vegetables into kettle.
POUR boiling water to barely cover vegetables.
ADD Country Style Seasoning to vegetables.
SIMMER over medium-high heat until vegetables are almost done.
BLEND nuts, corn (OR leftover cereal) and soup water until very smooth.
POUR into vegetables.
BOIL for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thick.
ADD optional herbs.
SHUT off heat and let SIT for 15-30 minutes before serving, OR chill if serving the next day.
Be sure to always use fresh onion and minced garlic in your vegetable soups. It adds a world of flavor that no seasoning can ever compete with! Celery is an optional flavor ingredient, if you have some old celery that needs to be used up!