Whole Wheat Cranberry Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cup oat flour (blended rolled oats)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chia seed (ground into meal)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flax seed (ground into meal)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flax seed (leave whole)
- 1 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla flavor
- 2 Tbsp orange zest (Zest all the peeling from one whole orange.)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 med apple blended
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup soy milk (adjust as needed, may be less)
MIX all dry ingredients together in mixing bowl.
ZEST the whole orange into the bowl and stir.
STIR in the dried craisins.
BLEND the apple in a blender until it turns into crushed applesauce, and pour into the bowl.
ADD oil and soy milk and gently stir together.
MIXTURE should be very thick, but add a couple tablespoons of extra soy milk if batter is too thick.
LET sit for 10-15 minutes to allow flax seed and chia seed to absorb.
PREHEAT oven to 425F.
SPOON into oiled muffin tins 3/4 full. Do not overfill!
BAKE at 400F for 5 minutes, then at 375F for 10 minutes, then at 350F for 5 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
COOL 10 minutes before GENTLY removing from pans. They are very fragile!
SERVE immediately OR cool for at least 30 minutes before storing in the freezer.
For long term storage, place cooled muffins in zip lock bags and freeze immediately. The flax seeds make the muffins get really soft and moist by the second day, making them spoil faster. Thaw as needed. Once thawed, keeps a week in the refrigerator or 3 days on the counter. However, I doubt you will need to store very many, if your family is like ours!